Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Christmas in Japan

Christmas was a few days ago now, so most places have already replaced Christmas decoration with New Year's decorations (which are totally different here - the Christmas stuff is all Western-imports like lights and trees and the New Years stuff is traditional Japanese). New Years is much more important here (Christmas is a relatively new import, after all), so I'm excited to see how that goes.

Fortunately, Christmas fell on a Monday this year, which is a day off for us. I think I would be sad to have to work on Christmas. We had a little North American Christmas celebration at my coworker Marina's house. It was me and Marina plus Chris, who works with us two days a week, and his coworker from his other school, Brian. Christmas was the first time I met Brian, but I liked him immediately because he is a fellow Seattle-ite. Anyway, our day consisted of homemade eggnog (DELICIOUS! I will be making this every year from now on), a small gift exchange, stuffed cabbages, immitation almond tarts, and lots of alcohol. It was a lot of fun even thoguh all we did was sit around eating and drinking from 3:30 until after 11, which is what Christmas is all about, I guess.

Today is my last day of work before 8 days off for New Years, so I'm looking forward to that. I think maybe tomorrow I'll take a trip to Hiroshima (about an hour and a half by bus) and Saturday I'm going to my tutor's house in Kasaoka (about 15 minutes away by train), but other than that I have no definite plans so far. Thanks for reading! I'll try to update more over the break.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HI Catie,
This is your old friend, from West Oz. Great to read about your adventures. Dorothy is about to start high school, has been learning Japanese in elementary school but will change to Mandarin at Perth Modern School. Robert is well and studying Physics, Chem and a Maths this year. We all love Miyasaki movies and recently went to see Swing Girls, a goofy Japanese teen movie that the Japanese embassy showed at the State Library, where I work. We are having a coolish summer and just enjoying not having to do anything much. I will check in from time to time : give your Mom a big hug and kiss from me when you see her.