Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Interviews

Hi everyone! Sorry I haven't updated much lately, and thank you for reading my blog, anyway. I'm still working on getting internet in my apartment, and once that happens I will be able to update more and add pictures, finally. Apparently Yahoo needs to check my information with some other internet/phone company and then check with my landlord and then they can do it. Ridiculous.

But anyway, I've been thinking that I should put something here about how I spend my time at work and one of our main jobs is interviewing prospective students, so I'll tell you about that. The interview has two main goals - to place the student in the right lesson for his or her level, and to get him or her to come to our school instead of one of the many, many other schools (I'd say the second goal is most important as far as management is concerned). So when you have an interview, you check that your jacket is on and your company pin is straight on your lapel, then you get out a business card, which you hand to the prospective student when you walk in. During the interview you're supposed to fill out a sheet called 'My First Lesson at (Company Name) ' while you ask the student lots of questions. The sheet has spaces for phrases, vocabulary and pronunciation, so you write things down when the person makes mistakes and go over it with him or her, just like in a lesson. The idea is that they can see some improvement after just the 15 minute interview and they'll want to sign up for more. Usually students are very shy, but sometimes we get some talkative ones, and those interviews are especially fun. I've had two prospective students tell me in the last couple of days that they saw my picture on our website and wanted to meet me, which is a little strange but I guess it means I look friendly. The guy I interviewed today told me that he's not sure which lesson he would take, but the important thing is that it's one of my lessons and he kept mentioning places and saying we should go together. I felt a little strange about that, but one of the Japanese teachers told me it's good I can attract students that way, so maybe I should be flattered. She told me not to mention my boyfriend to him or he might leave our school, but I think she was joking.

Ok, thanks for reading! More soon, I promise!
Cate

No comments: