Saturday, March 03, 2007

American Bar




These photos were taken at an American Bar called GB's that Mark and I go to a lot (because it's halfway between the train station and his house). The first picture shows my dinner, 'Country Morning,' which was an omelette filled with ground beef and cheese and covered in ketchup, plus a giant piece of toast (that was the only time we had dinner there - usually we just get Miller and American potatoes, which are french fries with a pat of butter on top). The other two pictures show the decor, which is very heavy on license plates. The plates seemed to all repeat the same ten or so states, but they had my favorite plate, Utah, so that's ok. They also have American food containers on a shelf along the top of the walls. You can't see the containers in the pictures, but they have a random selection including Folger's coffee, macaroni and cheese boxes, corn, Nestea, spam, and ketchup. I'm always interested to see how America is portrayed abroad, so I hope you enjoy this little look at American-themed dining in Japan.

And a side-note about how the rest of the world sees us: we were doing subjunctive in class the other day, and a student made the sentence, "if I were American... I would eat hamburgers every day."

Bye bye,
Cate

1 comment:

Mollie & Hillel said...

Cate, this reminds me of an American restaurant I saw in Zurich, Switzerland. I didn't go inside, but the outside was decorated with a bunch of California and Confederate flags!!
I miss you!
-Mollie