Friday, February 23, 2007

Hiroshima




I went to Hiroshima on January 3rd for a day trip. This was the second to last day of my New Year's Holiday and I hadn't done much for most of the break so I decided to make a trip to the big city for some shopping and sightseeing. I went to Hiroshima three years ago with my family when they visited during my study abroad semester, so I've already seen the Peace Museum and the Peace Park, which meant I could focus on shopping on this trip. Unfortunately everyone else in Western Honshu (the main island of Japan) apparently had the same idea so the stores were crazy-crowded. It reminded me of riding the trains in Tokyo at rush hour, actually, though there were no white-gloved employees pushing people in the doors like on the trains.

I did walk to the Atomic Bomb dome, which is the third picture. It was a government building very near the epicenter of the blast that somehow managed to survive more or less the way you see it there. It's a very famous monument so there were lots of people around taking pictures of it. After that I did a little shopping and looked around Hiroshima. The first picture was just a wall somewhere that happened to have those neat sculptures and the second one is a fountain outside the art museum.

Thanks for reading!
Cate

No comments: