Saturday, November 11, 2006

Arrival in Japan

I’m here! The trip really wasn’t bad, though I’m glad it’s over. Things are strangely familiar, though I’m just starting to remember a lot of things I hadn’t thought about since I left nearly two and a half years ago, like the cigarettes everywhere (and cigarette vending machines everywhere), the bright colors and neon lights, and the crazy hairstyles.

I’m training in a city called Okayama with two trainers and one other trainee. We’ve only had a half-day of training so far, but it was fun and I feel like I’m learning a lot. I especially liked the Japanese lesson, and I’m surprised at how quickly I’m remembering the language. Not that I don’t feel awkward most of the time, but I can pretty much get by, which is great. The other trainee, Marcus, is Asian so people assume he speaks Japanese whereas I am clearly not Japanese so people are surprised (and pleased) when I manage anything at all.

Tomorrow is our day off so Marcus and I are going to visit Okayama’s two big tourist spots, a garden called Korakuen and a castle. Korakuen is supposed to be one of the three most beautiful gardens in Japan (the Japanese love making lists like this – the ten most sacred shrines or the five oldest hot springs, etc).

Oh, and the best thing I’ve seen so far: make-up for men. I know what Nick’s getting for Christmas!

Ok, that’s all for now. Thanks for reading!

Cate

No comments: