Sunday, November 19, 2006

Fukuyama

Last night I took a 5:00 train to Fukuyama, my home for the next year. One of my school’s two assistant managers met me at the station with flowers and a hug, which was very nice! Then we walked the two blocks to the school and I put my training stuff with the rest of the luggage and hung out at school for a few hours.

I arrived at the school a little after 6 and had a quick tour (I think there were about 8 classrooms, a prep room, a staff room, and two for storage, plus a lobby and reception area) and then I talked to one of the other foreign teachers, Chris for a while. After that I sat in on a discussion class with James, the teacher I’m replacing. The class was about an article in the Japan Times discussing how Prime Minister Abe is very popular with women despite what feminist’s consider backwards policies. Only one student (out of three or four, I think) showed up, so we mostly just listened to his opinions. I think discussion classes like that will be very interesting for getting a Japanese perspective on a variety of issues.

Class ends at 8 on Saturday (9 Tuesday-Friday) but there are a few things to do after classes (call students who didn’t show up, clean up, etc), so we didn’t leave until 9. The three other foreign teachers (Marina, from San Francisco, Chris, who I mentioned above, and James, who I’m replacing) helped me and the assistant manager who met me at the station carry my training bags to the hotel (I won’t have all my stuff until I move into my apartment next Saturday). After we put my bags in my room we went to a pub-type place next door to the hotel and had curry pizza and beer. It was a good way to end a slightly stressful day and to start my stay in Fukuyama! Also, I tried two new Japanese dishes yesterday, curry udon and curry pizza, and they were both great! Japanese curry is different from any other curry I’ve tried – the flavor and texture are almost like stew, but usually a little spicy. Fortunately it’s easy to make and easy to find in Seattle.

Today is Sunday and I have today and tomorrow off to explore. I think I’m meeting Marina tomorrow morning and she will help me set up Japanese tutoring, a free service that is arranged through city hall. Hopefully she can also help me apply for my alien registration card because I need to get that process started so I can get a cell phone and bank account!

Thanks for reading and thank you for your comments, I really enjoy them!!

Cate

No comments: